Pay special attention to any person, especially a child, who is…
- Unusually fearful, anxious, or submissive, or showing signs of physical abuse.
- Monitored, controlled, or guarded by someone else at all times, or who is prohibited from interacting with others.
- Unaware of what city they are in or unable to explain the purpose of their stay.
- Not in control of their own money or documents.
- A child in a suspicious circumstance, such as being alone at a hotel.
Additional Warning Signs
- Has injuries or other signs of abuse and is reluctant to explain them.
- Appears malnourished.
- Branded or marked with a tattoo, such as a man’s name, symbol of money, or a barcode.
- Dressed in a provocative manner or in the same clothes, regardless of weather or circumstance.
- Has very few personal possessions.
- Has an unexplained, sudden increase in money, clothing, or possessions like jewelry without explanation.
- Doesn’t carry identification.
- Has a number of hotel keys or key cards.
- Claims to be an adult, though their appearance suggests adolescence.
- Seems to move frequently from place to place.
- Talks about an older boyfriend or sex with an older man.
- Has inconsistencies in their story.
- Claims to be visiting, and can’t state what city they’re in or for how long.
- Isn’t able to speak for themself.
- Has sexually explicit profiles on social networking sites.
- Is not enrolled in school or is consistently absent.
- Seems to be withdrawn, depressed, or “checked out.”
Lack Of Control
- Accompanied by someone who seems to control their every move.
- Seems scripted in the way they speak.
- Doesn’t have control over their own money.
- Can’t come and go from place to place on their own.
- Not in control of their identification or travel documents.